Hama camp lies within the town of Hama, 210km north of Damascus. The camp was established in 1950 on an area of 0.06 square kilometres overlooking the Orontes river. Most of the refugees had fled from the villages surrounding Haifa and Acre in northern Palestine.
Environmental health in the camp is a serious problem and the mechanisation of solid waste disposal is one of its most pressing needs. The sewerage system is antiquated and does not meet the requirements of a growing camp population. The schools, built in the 1950s, are in poor condition. UNRWA's main priority in the camp is to reconstruct the schools to be able to provide better educational facilities for the children.
The information included here predates the start of the conflict in Syria in March 2011. For more up-to-date information, please visit the Syria crisis page.