Askar camp was established in 1950 and borders the Nablus municipality. The camp population grew significantly between 1950 and 1960. Some residents subsequently settled in an area one kilometre away that is now known as New Askar. Residents of New Askar originally utilized many facilities in Askar camp.
However, as the refugee population in New Askar increased, UNRWA began providing education and health services in this locality. After the Oslo Accords, Askar camp fell under Palestinian control (Area A) while New Askar fell under joint Palestinian and Israeli control (Area B).
With nearly 18,500 registered persons, Askar camp is among the most densely populated West Bank camps. Overcrowding and unemployment are among the most serious issues. Poor shelters and cramped living conditions offer no privacy for residents in their personal lives, adding to the residents’ physical and psychological strain. Despite its challenges, Askar camp has an active civil society with numerous community-based organizations (CBOs) in the camp.