The village was situated on a sandstone hill on the central coastal plain, about 2.5 km from the seashore and 800 m north of the al-'Awja River. It was located 11 km northeast of Jaffa.
Al-Shaykh Muwannis was taken by Zionist forces before the end of the British Mandate on 15 May 1948. Palestinian historian Arif al-'Arif indicates that by this time, Zionist forces were in control of the whole coastal area between Haifa and Tel Aviv. Both al-Shaykh Muwannis and the nearby village of Abu Kishk were located just beyond the border of Tel Aviv and were targeted for attack early in the war. Israeli historian Benny Morris writes that “the final evacuation of the area just north of Tel Aviv was prompted in large measure by IZL action.” An earlier agreemnt between the villagers of al-Shaykh Muwannis and the Haganah to observe a truce in the area did not deter the IZL from striking at the community leaders. The IZL infiltrated into the village at the end of March 1948 and kidnapped five of the village leaders. The attack prompted a large flight of people from the surrounding coastal area.
There are no settlement on village lands.
A number of houses, exhibiting a variety of architectural features, remain; they are occupied by Jewish families. One of them is a two-storey house with a one-storey annex; it is made of cement and has rectangular doors and windows and flat roofs. Another is a two-storey, two-unit, symmetrical house with two front porches on the top floor. Each porch is defined by five lancet arches. A single wall of another house stands alone, toped by a post that supports an electric wire. The site is littered with the debris of fallen houses and is overgrown with weeds and tall wild grasses. The cemetery is unkept and fenced in. The surrounding land, which has been incorporated within the municipal area of Tel Aviv, is in part cultivated but mostly has been covered over by buildings and construction sites. Tel Aviv University is located on this land.
No related videos