Bayt Nattif stood on a mountain top in the western zone of the Hebron Mountains, overlooking a coastal expanse in the west and facing a broad mountain range in the east. Bayt Nattif was 1 km north of the Bayt Jibrin-Bethlehem highway and was linked by secondary roads to severals of the area's other villages. It was 21 km north of Hebron.
Bayt Nattif was captured during Operation ha-Har by the Fourth Battalion of the Har'el Brigade. According to the History of the War of Independence, “in Bayt Nattif, the inhabitants' bundles were found, indicating that they apparently wanted to leave the village previously, but they did not have enough time to take along their belongings.” The village was strategically located, and with its occupation, Israeli forces succeeded in blocking the Bethlehem-'Ajjur-Bayt Jibrin road, “the transportation artery which was important for Egyptians troops in this sector.” Isreali raids continued in the area of Bayt Nattif in the months between its capture and the signig of the Armistice Agreement in April 1949. Israeli historian Benny Morris states that the aim was to drive out refugees from nearby villages whi were ancamped in the area south of Bayt Nattif. The Arab version of the event states that Haganah forces encircled the villages of Bayt Nattif, Dayr aban, and Zakariyya in a “punitve” attack after the clash that happened at Surif, where a Palmach column of thirty five soldiers was wiped out in January 1948.
Four settlements were established on village land : Netiv ha-Lamed-He, built in 1949, Avi'ezer, Roglit and Newe Mikha'eln all built in 1958.
Today, piles of rubble thar have been cleared by bulldozers are scattered over a wide area. Six steel beams stand in the midst of the debris at the site's center. In the rubble one can also see the remnants of arched house entrances. There are two large, open graves on the northeast side; the bones in the graves are visible. An area east of the site is thinly covered by cactuses and carob and olive trees.