The village was situated on a flat spot in the Acre plain. It was traversed by a highway that connected Tarshiha, the settlement of Nahariyya, and Acre. It was located 10.5 km northeast from Acre.
On 20-21 May 1948, forces of the Carmeli Brigade attacked this and a number of other western Galilean villages in the second stage of Operation Ben-Ami. Specifically mentioninf Umm al-Faraj, the operational orders issued by the Brigade commander directed his troops to "kill among the men" and to "destroy and burn the villages." Israeli historian Benny Morris adds that most villages in this area were razed by Haganah sappers, either during this operation or later.
In 1949 part of the settlement of Ben 'Ammi was established on village lands.
Only the stone Mosque remains. It is shut and stands in a state of decay amid tall wild grass. Many trees that might predate the village's destruction can be seen. The nearby lands are cultivated; a banana grove belongs to the Ben 'Ammi settlement.
No related videos
No related booklets
No related items